Service of Process
Virginians who have incurred financial loss and are pursuing civil remedies in the courts may submit an affidavit, available below or at any court in Virginia, supporting their claim to the Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth. A fee of $28 is required. The Service of Process Department will then serve notice of pending litigation to the defendant.
Service of Process Online Options
A new online system is now available for filing Services of Process. This system replaces the services previously available through VIPNet Premium Services. The Service of Process Department now offers and strongly encourages the use of our new online system allowing the plaintiff, the plaintiff’s attorney or agent to set up an account thereby simplifying the service process through the Secretary of the Commonwealth. This system allows the plaintiff, the plaintiff’s attorney or agent to complete the affidavit online ensuring greater accuracy and allows payment via Visa, Master Card, Discover or American Express credit cards. Once the affidavit is electronically submitted it can be easily printed off along with a receipt of payment and mailed to our Post Office Box. Once the department receives the correct documentation the service will be expedited ensuring faster delivery to the defendant. Please note, if you use the online system, the effective date of service is the date that the Secretary’s Office receives your service in the mail.
The system allows you to see the date you submitted service and the date you paid (which acts as your receipt).
The online Service of Process was previously made available through VIPNet Premium Services. These services will no longer be available after August 23, 2013. This system will be left on to manage existing Services of Process, but should not be used to submit new data.
If you are unable to take advantage of the online Service of Process system, please submit the following to the address listed below:
- 3 copies of the Affidavit
- 1 copy of papers being served
- 1 envelope addressed to the person/business being served, returnable to the plaintiff
- 1 self-addressed stamped envelope, returnable to plaintiff (for receipt of service) â€“ not applicable if paperwork is mailed to our office via certified mail (your green card acts as your receipt.)
- 1 certified mail card (green), also addressed to the person/business being served, returnable to the plaintiff
- A check or money order for $28.00 per person/business being served. If it is a couple, two separate sets of papers are required.
For further information, contact :
Elizabeth Jeffries, Director
Office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth
Service of Process Department
Post Office Box 2452
Richmond, Virginia 23218-2452
or use our Inquiry Form