Governor McDonnell Announces Board Appointments and Appointments to Administration
RICHMOND - Governor Bob McDonnell today announced appointments to the Office of the Governor, the Virginia Commission for the Arts, the Virginia Department of Health and the Virginia Department of Social Services. He also announced appointments to 9 boards and commissions. Further announcements regarding additional appointments in the McDonnell administration will continue to be made in the months ahead.
Virginia Department of Health
Dr. Cynthia Romero, Commissioner
Dr. Cynthia Romero manages TPMG Romero Family Practice, a private family medicine office and serves as the first female Chief Medical Officer for Chesapeake Regional Medical Center. Dr. Romero has served in a variety of leadership roles in the medical field, including immediate Past President of the Medical Society of Virginia; Past President of the Medical Staff of Chesapeake General Hospital; Past President of the Virginia Academy of Family Physicians; and Past President of the Norfolk Academy of Medicine.
Dr. Romero received her undergraduate degree in psychology from the University of Virginia, and her medical degree from Eastern Virginia Medical School. She completed her family medicine training at the Riverside Family Medicine Program.
Virginia Department of Social Services
Margaret Schultze, Acting Commissioner
The Virginia Department of Social Services is one of the largest Commonwealth agencies, partnering with 120 local departments of social services, along with faith-based and non-profit organizations, to strengthen families and improve communities statewide. Margaret Schultze has worked for the Department of Social Services since 1997, most recently as Deputy Commissioner. Ms. Schultze has overseen both programmatic and administrative functions within the Virginia Department of Social Services and is highly respected by staff, local and federal partners. Ms. Schultze has the experience, knowledge and leadership skills to effectively lead the Department of Social Services.
A native of Roanoke, Virginia, she graduated from Hollins University (formerly Hollins College) with a Bachelor of Arts in Biology and a teacher certification. Prior to her work in human services, she was the Director of Financial Aid for Roanoke College. Margaret and her husband live in Midlothian.
Office of the Governor
Martin Brown, Special Advisor to the Governor for Family Re-integration of State Offenders
Martin D. Brown was formerly appointed by Governor McDonnell as Commissioner of the Department of Social Services in 2010. He previously served as Vice-President of Public Affairs at Johnson Inc., Virginia's largest full-service African-American-owned marketing and public relations firm. Prior to working with Johnson Inc., Brown served as President of the Providence Management Group, Inc. (PMG), where he oversaw its management and direction.
Mr. Brown previously served as Policy Advisor and Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services to Governor Jim Gilmore and Special Assistant to the Secretary of Health and Human Resources for Governor George Allen.
Brown is a graduate of the Howard University School of Business, earning a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. At Howard, he also earned All-Conference honors in football, and was selected Captain of the 1984 and 1985 teams. Brown resides in Chesterfield County, Virginia with his wife Adneatria Parker and their two children.
Virginia Commission for the Arts
Jenny Wortham, Chief Deputy Director
Jenny Wortham most recently served as Special Assistant for Legislative Affairs and Information Systems for the Governor Bob McDonnell's office. In this position, Wortham worked to engineer the design, implementation, and expansion of the first electronic legislative review system for the Office of the Governor. Wortham previously worked for the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in the Community Affairs office. Wortham earned a bachelor's degree in Classics and Business from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Board of Education
- Oktay Baysal* of Virginia Beach, Dean, Batten College of Engineering & Technology at Old Dominion University
- Joan E. Wodiska of the City of Falls Church, Committee Director National Governors Association Education and Workforce Committee
Board of Medicine
- Dr. Barbara Allison-Bryan of North, Pediatrician with Sentara Medical Group
- Dr. Siobhan S. Dunnavant MD, FACOG of Henrico, Physician, OB-GYN with OB-GYN Associates
- Dr. Stuart Mackler of Franktown, Orthopedic Surgeon
Board of the Virginia College Building Authority
- William J. Vakos III of Spotsylvania, President of W.J. Vakos Management Company and Owner of Vakos Real Estate
State Board of Social Services
- Lisa N. Robertson of Virginia Beach
The College of William & Mary Board of Visitors
- Sue H. Gerdelman of Williamsburg
The University of Virginia Board of Visitors
- William H. Goodwin, Jr. of Richmond
Virginia Commercial Space Flight Authority
- A. Thomas Young of Onancock, Former Director of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Goddard Space Flight Center and Former President and Chief Operating Officer of Martin Marietta
Virginia Port Authority Board of Commissioners
- Craig P. Coy of Leesburg, Chief Executive Officer of Command Security Corporation
Virginia Racing Commission
- D.G. Van Clief, Jr. of Esmont, Former President of Breeders' Cup Limited and Former Chief Executive Officer of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association
# # #