Virginia Council on Women - STEM Essay Contest
About the Contest
Each year, the Virginia Council on Women (Council) will provide one scholarship to a high school junior or senior in each of five geographic regions across the Commonwealth. Award amounts may vary and are determined by the Council annually.
Contest launches: Friday, January 4, 2019
Contest ends: Friday, February 22, 2019
Scholarship award recipients notified: Thursday, April 25, 2019
Scholarship award recipients reception: Thursday, May 9, 2019
Scholarship dispersed: July 2019
Contest Eligibility Requirements:
All applicants for the Virginia Council on Women STEM Essay Contest must:
- Be a Virginia resident
- Be enrolled in a Virginia-based high school
- Be a high school junior or senior girl or identify as a girl
- Be planning to attend an institution of higher education to include but not limited to a community college, four-year college or university, trade or technical school
- Be planning to pursue a STEM major
- Have a minimum 2.5 GPA
Each STEM Essay Contest applicant must adhere to the following:
- Write an original essay created exclusively for the Virginia Council on Women STEM Essay Contest.
- The essay should be at least 700 words but shall not exceed 1,000 words.
- Quotes and any ideas that are not your own should be attributed to the appropriate source within the body of the essay and bibliography. Do not use footnotes and endnotes. Do not include the bibliography in the word count.
- Do not include illustrations, graphics, or diagrams.
- Essays should include an explanation of why you want to pursue a STEM career and education
All essays are judged on the following:
About the Geographic Regions: For the purposes of the STEM Essay Contest, the Virginia Council on Women has identified five geographic regions across the Commonwealth of Virginia. One individual from each of the regions below will be selected as a scholarship award recipient.