How to Request an Authentication
Documents are mailed to the authentication’s office with the following items:
- Cover letter
- Envelope or FedEx/ UPS prepaid return envelope or label that you have addressed and put stamps on for return
- The authentication’s office accepts the following mailing services: UPS, FedEx, DHL, and USPS.
- Requestor’s information must be the sender and recipient on return envelope.
- The processing time is seven (7) business days from the time your document is received.
- At this time, this office does not offer any expedited processing services.
- If no stamps are provided, we provide $2.00 max in postage.
Fee’s and Fee Calculation
There is a fee of $10 for the first document and $5 for each additional document signed by the same Virginia official, on the same day, going to the same country. Any other variation and the fee is $10 per document. We accept checks and money orders. Please make out checks to the “Secretary of the Commonwealth of Virginia”.
What documents does this office not process
Please note, this is not limited to the following:
- Federal documents ( including FBI background checks) These can be authenticated by the Federal Office of Authentications, travel.state.gov.
- Documents issued by a Federal Court
- Vital records not issued by the state of Virginia (births, deaths, marriages, etc. in other states or abroad
These can be authenticated by the Issuing state/country
- Military notaries These can be authenticated by the federal Office of Authentications, travel.state.gov
- Federal officials
- Citizenship certificates
- Consulate officials