Become a Notary or Renew My Commission
To be eligible to apply for a Virginia Notary Public Commission, you must be:
- At least eighteen years old
- A legal resident of the United State
- Able to read and write the English language
- A resident of Virginia or regularly employed in the state and perform notary services in connection with their employment.*
- No person who has ever been convicted of a felony under the laws of the United States, the Commonwealth of Virginia, or the laws of any other state, qualify to be appointed and commissioned as a notary public unless such person has had their civil rights restored.
* Non-residents of Virginia may be appointed as notaries if they are regularly employed in the state and perform notary services in connection with their employment. A non-resident notary who ceases to be regularly employed in Virginia must surrender their commission.
All of the following options can be done using our Notary Management Accounts System
- if you are applying for a Virginia Notary Public Commission for the first time OR it has been 30 days since your commission has expired OR your name has changed.
- if you need to to Renew your Commission AND YOU HAVE NOT CHANGED YOUR NAME.
- if you have had a name change or your commission has expired by more than 30 days, you are required to submit a new notarized application to our office.
- if you would like to check the status of your application or change your contact information.