Notary Application Process
We recommend creating a Notary Management Account to create your notary application and manage your notary information. The link to do so is below
- Answer the interview questions found on the application
- Print the pdf application generated at the end of the online application
- Pay the application fee. You can pay by credit card at the end of the application. Be sure you are able to print the pdf application before paying online. The barcode number on your printed application must match the invoice number found on your receipt to ensure proper payment on your account. If you do not pay by credit card, you may pay the application fee by check or money order.
- Have your signature properly notarized by a Virginia Notary on Part 3 of your printed application. This must be done prior to mailing your application to our office for processing.
- Mail the completed, notarized application along with application fee– payment receipt or check/money order payment of $45 (payable to Treasurer of Virginia) to the Notary Office ( P.O. Box 1795, Richmond, Virginia 23218)
- Contact the Circuit Court to take your oath and be sworn in. Our office will send you notification to the preferred address (home, business, email) selected by you on your application to inform you that your application has been approved. At that time, you will need to contact the Circuit Court you selected on your application to verify that they have received your commission and to make arrangements to take the oath. There is a $10 fee paid at that time to the court.
Things to keep in mind:
- General turnaround time for processing a completed application is about three weeks.
- By law, you must claim your commission from the Court within 60 days after it is issued. If you fail to do so, you must submit a new application and a new fee.
- Sometimes notices are lost in the mail or email. Regardless, failure to receive a notice will not permit you to receive a commission after the 60-day period has expired.
- If you paid online and were unable to print your application, you will need to contact our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to have the pdf form emailed to you.
- You will need to include the seven digit invoice number found on the email receipt as the subject line of your email request.
- A response to your request should be sent to you within 1-2 business days.
to create a notary management account and notary application
to create application without account
Back to Become a Notary or Renew My Commission Page