Notary Application Process
Notary Application Process is for a first time notary, a notary who is more than 30 days passed their commission expiration date, and/or a notary who has changed their name
We recommend creating a Notary Management Account to create your notary application and manage your notary information. The Notary Management account log-in/creation link and the application link are located below the application instructions.
- Answer the interview questions found on the online application (Notary Application Wizard). All questions must be complete in order for application to be processed.
- Print the pdf application generated at the end of the online application. You will be given the opportunity to pay by credit card at the end of the interview process. Be sure you are able to open and print the pdf application before paying online. The barcode number on your printed application must match the invoice number found on your receipt to ensure proper payment on your account. If you do not pay by credit card, you may pay the application fee by check or money order.
- Have your signature properly notarized by a Virginia Notary on Part 3 of your printed application. This must be done prior to mailing your application to our office for processing.
- Mail the completed, notarized application along with application fee– payment receipt or check/money order payment of $45 (payable to Treasurer of Virginia) to the notary office. NOTE: This is an application fee and is not refundable, transferable, and cannot be applied to another application. Our office cannot begin processing an application until we receive a completed, notarized paper application by mail.
- Contact the Circuit Court to take your oath and be sworn in. Our office will send out a notification letter to the preferred mailing address (home, business, email) selected by you on your application to let you know your application has been approved. At that time, you will need to contact the Circuit Court you selected on your application to verify that they have received your commission and to make arrangements to take the oath. There is a $10 fee paid at that time to the court.
- General turnaround time for processing a completed application is about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. If 3 1/2 weeks have passed and you haven’t received your notification, please contact our office at (804)692-2536 or by email at email@example.com to check the status. By law, you must claim your commission within 60 days after it is issued. If you fail to do so you must submit a new application and a new fee to become a Notary. Sometimes notices are lost in the mail or email. Failure to receive a notice will not permit you to receive a commission after the 60-day period has expired.
- Please note, if you are a notary whose commission expires in first few months of the calendar year (January, February, March), you should submit your application after the start of the new year. Applications approved prior to January will result in the commission expiring one year earlier than anticipated.
If you paid online and were unable to print your application, you will need to contact our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to have the pdf form emailed to you. When emailing our office, you will need to include the seven digit invoice number found on the email receipt as the subject line of your email request. The invoice number from the payment receipt must match the barcode provided on the printed application to ensure proper payment on your account. A response to your request should be sent to you within 1-2 business days.